Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Evelyn Nelson -- Hang On Wally, I'm Coming

Often paired with Jack Hoxie in Western melodramas (Cyclone Bliss, 1921; The Crow's Nest, 1922; Desert Rider, 1923), Nelson was in her late teens when she met and fell in love with motion picture he-man Wallace Reid.  The pair began an affair that continued until the married Reid, fearful that the scandal might ruin his career, broke it off.  The relationship resumed after Reid was granted an interlocutory divorce decree, but again fearing negative press, he finally called it quits.  Ravaged by drug addiction, the so-called "King of Paramount" died in a sanatorium on January 18, 1923.  Devastated by Reid's death, the 23-year-old actress tried to go on living, but as The Los Angeles Examiner reported on June 17, 1923, "heart broken, (she) gave up the struggle and embarked on the Great Adventure."  The day before, Nelson's body was found in a gas-filled room in her luxuriously appointed bungalow as 6231 De Longpre Avenue in Hollywood.  In a note addressed to her mother Nelson begged for forgiveness, adding that she had no reason for the suicide except that "I am tired."  In another note penned moment before her death, the actress wrote:  "I am just about gone, and will soon be with my friend, Wally Reid."

1 comment:

  1. I used to watch all the old silent Westerns whenever they were on TV. I honestly can't do it anymore because after finding out how Tom Mix died, I just couldn't live with the fact that these Westerns were ever enjoyable. I have to be honest here. I've NEVER, and I'll reiterate, NEVER seen any of Jack Hoxie's films. There. I said it. And I don't, nor do I think I ever will know, who Evelyn Nelson is. I stopped finding out who's who a long time ago. If you were to tell me who this actor was or that actor was, I'd probably tell you, with dismay, that I don't remember. But that's on me. And it's a shame how she died. Because no matter who she was, Evelyn Nelson sure was special.

    ReplyDelete