Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Allen McPhail - Life is a Joke

"I have worked hard to make good for eight years, but I have failed.  Life is a joke," read the suicide note-cum-epitah penned by the 28-year-old musician on October 22, 1909.  A violinist at the Orpheum Theatre in Butte, Montana, McPhail played scores of theatres in the East prior to heading West to try to win a soloist position.  Failing, the frustrated musician cut the arteries of one wrist and hanged himself from the bedpost in his room at the Hotel Fair in Butte.

1 comment:

  1. Allen McPhail committed suicide at only 28 years old in 1909. But what did you expect? The word fail was in his name. Now I'm not saying he deserved that. I'm just saying that maybe he should have never given up on life. It's never a good idea to commit suicide or even try to kill yourself. And no, life is NOT a joke. In fact, I'm living life right now and while it IS funny, it's in no way a joke. It gets better. I wish I could say the say the same for Allen McPhail. Because poor Allen, he failed.

    ReplyDelete