Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Frank Holliday, Jr. -- Give Me a Break

Shortly after appearing on a radio program on August 3, 1948, the 35-year-old singer was arrested on suspicion of breaking into a service station on North La Brea Avenue and booked into the Hollywood Jail at 2:00 A.M. the next day.  Although Holliday had a police record dating back to 1935, he had stayed straight ever since serving a year in the County Jail for burglary in 1940.  According to the officers who apprehended the singer fleeing from the service station, Holliday said:  "I was walking around tonight, just looking around.  I was broke and didn't have any place to go.  I don't plan to burglarize the service station.  But I guess you fellows have caught me red-handed.  I would appreciate it if you would give me a break.  Would you be interested in $100 a piece to turn me loose and forget the whole thing?  This is the first time I have ever been in trouble and under arrest."  Less than an hour after being booked, Holliday's lifeless body was found in a holding cell hanging by his belt from a ceiling grille.

No comments:

Post a Comment